• @SpookyUnderwear@eviltoast.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    289 months ago

These letters are wild. Why? Why get involved? He’s been convicted. Just stay out of it. Now you simply look like you’re defending a convicted rapist. I don’t care if it was my best friend. I’m not going to write a letter for a rapist asking for the judge to go easy on him because he was always nice to me.

• @frogfruit
      link
      249 months ago

Probably pressured by the church of scientology

• @frogfruit
          link
          149 months ago

Yes. Supposedly it was Danny Masterson that recruited them. Some of them claim to no longer be involved with the church, but celebrities have been known to lie about that before, likely a church PR move to convince people they’re totally not a cult and that people can leave any time.

• drewdarko
      link
      fedilink
      19 months ago

Because the justice system isn’t perfect and it’s possible for innocent people to get convicted.

• drewdarko
          link
          fedilink
          -49 months ago

How do you reasonably surmise if someone is being falsely charged? I don’t know what role Scientology plays in this. What brings them up?

• @PizzasDontWearCapes@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            9 months ago

If you’re interested, there is a lot more background on this case

One troubling aspect is that the victims were coerced by the Scientologists to not charge Masterson, and instead, handle this within their cult realm