• Scrubbles
    link
    fedilink
    English
    12610 months ago

People are complicated. We can say he did good things for kids while also doing bad things like defending Masterson. We can admit it must be hard for him to condemn his friend while also still saying he still needed to.

People can do both good and bad things, we can say the good things he did are good while also saying he shouldn’t have done bad things.

• phillaholic
      link
      fedilink
      2310 months ago

He could have not written a letter of support or condemnation. Sometimes no comment is the right way.

• @XTornado@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      1210 months ago

I mean I feel one thing overweights the other… Like it was a fucking piece of paper…yeah he shouldn’t have done it. But I feel like whatever the org did matter more that a stupid written paper.

• @Mangosniper@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          2110 months ago

Exactly this. There was some good coverage in the German podcast Logbuch Netzpolitik. Ashton is also involved in companies selling software to “solve” the CSAM issue with methods the scientific community says will not solve it and most likely will make everything worse, not only in the topic but also others like privacy overall.

• Scrubbles
        link
        fedilink
        English
        110 months ago

Whether you like it or not Kutchers childrens charities do in fact help kids. Their software helps identify children who are being abused online and also help create tools to detect and block CSAM. But don’t take my word for it, here’s their 2022 impact report. https://www.thorn.org/impact-report-2022/

So yes. Turns out he’s not literal Satan and he has done good things and bad.