It’s nice to see larger outlets talking about urbanism topics and Vox has made a few videos in this area recently.

• @buzziebee@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    339 months ago

For those of you getting riled up to point out how this wouldn’t work in rural Nebraska - yeah no shit!

This video is taking about how it can be very beneficial for urban areas to use electric cargo bikes rather than vans, and how it helps everyone to remove the amount of vehicles in inner cities by providing safer ways for bikes to move around (and better for emissions too!). The parcel services in my city all have hubs where lorry’s drop off pallets, and then bike porters to take the parcels for the final mile. It works great.

Everytime there’s a video about the benefits of bike infrastructure or public transport the online discourse gets filled with pointless bad faith drivel about how public transport or bike lanes don’t work in an area with a population density of 0.000001/km^2. No one is claiming that’s the case, and no one benefits from you pointing that out. Get a grip.

• @Oisteink@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      -149 months ago

Or you could make electric cars. That would be neat and it works great outside of cities and even in hilly cities. Even during winter or scorching summers.

• @chocolatine@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        139 months ago

Pollution is not the only issue with cars. In fact, I would argue that this is not the main one in cities. A car has negative impact on infrastructure, public space sharing, safety, etc. Electric or not.

• @Oisteink@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          English
          -39 months ago

I don’t disagree, but I think that we can remove most of that and still have electric lorries delivering goods.

Busses, trains, trams etc instead of cars, with good parking I rural commute hubs

• @mrpants@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        09 months ago

Yeah or we could be well informed on the actual issues instead. We’ll choose that rather than this stupid nonsense. Cities are not rural. Rural are not cities.