It’s nice to see larger outlets talking about urbanism topics and Vox has made a few videos in this area recently.

• @mondoman712@lemmy.mlOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1610 months ago

This isn’t a theoretical, it already exists and it already works. Cargo bikes can deliver parcels faster than vans in some cases, they can carry large loads, ebikes make up for the labour, riders have much better awareness of the world around them than van drivers, and don’t have all the extra mass of a van that will cause damage in the event of a crash. And it doesn’t have to work in every situation, it can take vans off the road sometimes and that’s still good.

• @scv
      link
      -110 months ago

I like what someone else mentioned of bikes doing the last mile or two. Vans could do the last 20 miles or whatever, and bigger trucks or trains the long haul.

I would also not put vans and box trucks (not that you did, I’m speaking in general) in the same bag, a van is almost the same as a car when it comes to driving.

And of course if we could lower the demands on delivery drivers (and riders? Not sure what you call them on bikes) it would lower accidents. I recently saw one of the new Amazon electric vans, and while I liked some things (no air or sound pollution), the driver was accelerating like crazy every time.