I have a Google Pixel 7 right now and I think I'll want to upgrade to the 8 when it releases. I checked current trade in prices and they're honestly underwhelming. CA$265 for a phone I bought 10 months ago?

I've seen people get upgrades for $150, so what's the secret? Is there a period where trade in prices increase?

• @infinitevalence
    link
    English
    19 months ago

are you running Google’s stock firmware or have you loaded something else like Lineage? I find that after the frist year of use Google’s firmware goes to crap and they practically abandon phones. Sure you get some updates, and one major revision but the performance and battery life degrade quickly.

On LineageOS I get about 2 days of battery or 1 day with 6-8h of on screen time, and this is still on the original OEM battery.

• @httpjames@sh.itjust.worksOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      29 months ago

I’m using Stock android. I buy pixels for the android experience and AI features, so I don’t want to change ROM.

• @infinitevalence
        link
        English
        19 months ago

if thats the case then not much you can do but baby your phones and try to sell them before a new version is announced. With Graphics cards I have in the past payed close attention to rumours and release dates, and sold cards a few weeks before new ones are announced. This requires a backup card that I can run until the new one comes out and also banks on the new on having volume sales so I can get one.

you probably missed the window to get top dollar for a used PX7 but it should still sell for something.