• @deegeese@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      410 months ago

Drop support for frequency bands and older mobile standards not used in China. Don’t worry about battery life.

Works great for Huawei, no good for Apple.

• @arin@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        310 months ago

No I’m talking about the 5g transmitters and receivers they sold in the USA before we banned them

• @rmuk@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          310 months ago

Loads of companies make the tower equipment, including Huawei, Cisco, Nokia… in those cases, size, cool running and low power draw aren’t as important. Apple gives no shits about that part of the industry.

• @MigratingApe@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            210 months ago

Power draw for cellular tower equipment has become a major concern and product differentiator for mobile operators. I work in telco sector.

AFAIK Apple develops their modem in Germany. The initial effort to get into this market is tremendous. After that it’s incremental improvements, but you must start somewhere.

• @blueeggsandyam@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      310 months ago

I can’t find any reviews of the chip itself, just announcements. It is too early to say they succeeded. Also intel did make a 5G modem for phones. It just was a couple of years behind Qualcomm’s chip. There is a good chance that Huawei’s 5G chip will be the same. If you look at the phone they are going to sell with the new 5G chip, it has a main processor that is performing at the standards of two years ago. The 5G modem could be the same way. Furthermore, Huawei could be breaking patents and be fine as long as the phone isn’t sold outside of China. The main difference is that Apple doesn’t want to put a worse 5G modem in their products and can’t pretend that patents don’t exist.