Hi everyone,

I built my first gaming PC a few months ago and things have been mostly okay until earlier this week.

All of a sudden, the computer just disconnects both monitors and everything goes dark. But the computer is still on. I can see the lights on my internal AIO cooler have not dimmed like the system rebooted. I’m sure the computer is still on despite there not being any video, but I don’t have a way to test since video out isn’t showing.

I checked my display settings and everything is set to “never” go to sleep or put the screen to black. I also updated to the latest GPU driver available and am now performing a clean reinstallation through GeForce Experience.

Despite this, it still happens. Tonight was worse as I was playing Starfield and the screen just went black and the fans started going really loud. From the sound of it, it was the fans on the front of my PC case, not the GPU fans.

I did some Googling and saw that others with the 4070 Ti recommended turning off G-Sync which I did, but issues persist.

My PC’s specs:

• AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
  • MSI MPG B550 motherboard
  • Zotac Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti
  • 64 GB DDR4 RAM (x4 slots of 16 GB each)
  • Windows 11 x64 bit Pro

Not really sure what else could be going on. I’ve checked Event Viewer and a lot is getting logged, but nothing that seems immediately relevant to this issue. Anything specific I can name that might help with diagnosing? Tonight was the first time this happened during a game. Most occurrences have been while the computer is idle on the Windows desktop.

• @VR20X6
    link
    210 months ago

I ran into this. Let me guess: you updated nvidia drivers pretty recently. Nvidia’s driver update process seems prone to introducing some amount of dll version mismatches or corruption and it’s not as rare as you’d think. Not really sure why nobody ever seems to talk about it.

Try using DDU to completely uninstall your nvidia drivers, making sure to go into its settings to disable Windows automated driver download to be safe. Afterward, install the latest drivers downloaded from nvidia.com. That should hopefully resolve your issue like it has for me.