There are many lemmy instances in the world, but currently most people are using lemmy.world. This is why everything has gotten so slow.

You don’t have to delete your lemmy.world account, but check out https://lemmy.fediverse.observer/map it’s a geo-based map of lemmy instances – explore stuff nearest you, pick one, sign up, search , subscribe and begin interacting with your favorite communities. It’s easy, free and it will be faster. Try it!

• Playingwithethenew
    link
    fedilink
    English
    251 year ago

I am planning on moving to lemmy.blahaj.zone soon-ish but I have 2 questions.

1. How do I move to another instance?

2. Can I move freely? For example, could I switch to lemmy.blahaj.zone to lemmy.world to kbin.social every day? I don;t like the idea of being “tied down” to an instance for a long time.

• wrath-sedan
      link
      fedilink
      English
      231 year ago

As far as I know, account migration from one instance to another is currently not possible on kbin/lemmy but with the sudden influx of users and developers I believe it is on the roadmap for at least kbin and likely lemmy too. For now you’ll have to use multiple accounts, but eventually you should be able to migrate if you choose to.

• Playingwithethenew
        link
        fedilink
        English
        121 year ago

I may wait until that becomes possible, although if the wait is long, I’ll make a new account.

• wrath-sedan
          link
          fedilink
          English
          61 year ago

Yeah do whatever you decide is best! No right way to do it. Some have suggested just considering accounts temporary as we all experiment with what works best until more features are rolled out. But I know I’m already attached to my existing accounts and reluctant to make more.

• @milesOP
      link
      English
      151 year ago

you can have accounts on multiple instances, go ahead and sign up. your info is NOT transferred, so you’ll need to re-subscribe to your communities, and your posts stay on the instance you wrote them from.