“When you use Signal, your data is stored in encrypted form on your devices. The only information that is stored on the Signal servers for each account is the phone number you registered with, the date and time you joined the service, and the date you last logged on.”

This isn’t an ad, I wasn’t paid for this post. Just to clear the air: fuck facebook, fuck elon musk and twitter, fuck anyone who thinks this is a paid advertisement. I wish I was paid for this shit, I just wanted to spread the word. Thank you. 😀 👍

• @Cstrrider@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    511 year ago

I wish they hadn’t gotten rid of SMS though, that was the biggest sell for me over other options. I’m never going to get more than 2 or 3 people I regularly text to switch…

• @rov3r@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      111 year ago

Yes lol same. And because of the verification code that needs to be typed in every so often, my messages never reach them. I have to text them, “hey go to signal”, and then it finally goes through.

• @TheLantern@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Fun fact: on Android after not using an app for more than three months (the exact time can vary by manufacturer) the OS will remove permissions including notifications (suppressing the app’s ability to run in the background) to save battery. So the app will literally stop working.

For a seldom used app like Signal that’s hurt from a lack network effect, this triggers a death spiral outside of the privacy enthusiast community. When it had SMS support this guaranteed some usage, but now that’s gone.

• @palitu@lemmy.perthchat.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      91 year ago

i too miss this. capture the messaging market, and keep the stock SMS function!

With this move, i am more keen to see matrix make it to the big leagues.

• EI7LC
      link
      fedilink
      English
      51 year ago

Question though? Why did they get rid of sms functionality?

• @ysjet@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        161 year ago

Because they turned away from the original founder’s philosophy, which is that ‘perfect security’ is a pie-in-the-sky novelty that isn’t actually useful to anyone, and what’s actually important is security that people actually use. Even if it’s slightly less secure, it’s still a net positive because people are actually using it.

When he left, a google CEO took over and frankly it’s just been one terrible decision after another- cryptocurrencies, ‘stories’, stickers, removal of SMS, all kinds of stupid shit that drove people away.

I used to have nearly 50 people on my signal contacts list. Now there are 3.

• lightrush
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          1 year ago

There’s some misinformation in there. The original CEO - Moxie stepped down in Jan 2022. Stickers and crypto functions were developed strictly under his watch. Stories came after. Nevertheless Moxie presided throughout the vast majority of Signal’s history. Moxie has been at the helm since Signal was Whisper Systems.

• @Lammertje@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      21 year ago

Here in the Netherlands no one uses SMS, purely Whatsapp. So removing this functionality, though often complained about by people presumably from the US, did not hurt functionality at all here. I also like the features like Stories, it’s a direct competition with Instagram/Snapchat, though just like Whatsapp Stories, barely anyone will use it.

• @Cstrrider@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        21 year ago

Yes I am in the US and I understand that this is a US centric problem though SMS is the feature that set signal apart from other secure messaging apps and made it slightly easier to get people to join. It was a nice alternative to imessage on android as opposed to yet another messaging app. Even in the US I have had to use SMS, WhatsApp, fb messenger, instagram’s DMs, Line, Group me, Matrix, etc, to talk to different people and I was not going to convince many to switch to signal (I tried).