In this comment my use of the “b” word was overzealously suppressed, silently without telling me. I only discovered it when re-reading my post.

There are THREE #LemmyBug cases here:

1. when the “b” word is used as a verb, it’s not a slur. And when it’s used as a noun, it’s only a slur if not literally referring to a dog.

2. my post was tampered with without even telling me. Authors should be informed when their words are manipulated and yet still presented to others as their own words.

3. The word “removed” cannot simply replace any word. It makes my sentence unreadable. In the very least, the word should be “REDACTED”, and there should be a footnote added that explains /why/ it was redacted.

• @FelipeFelop
    link
    89 months ago

I think the other thing to remember is that in different English speaking countries the word as a verb causes a different level of offence.

In British English it’s not offensive at all to say someone was b***ing about something.

• @ArcaneSlime@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      109 months ago

Frankly it isn't offensive in much of America either, typically only to church going grandmas who wish to sanitize all obsceneties, or people who connect a lot of dots with assumption that they know what you really mean, that it can't possibly simply be synonymous with "complaining" in the same way "ass" means "butt," because of course all men think women are bad and stupid because men are bad and stupid.