• deweydecibel
    link
    fedilink
    English
    199 months ago

That was possible on Reddit too. Every single sub with overbearing mods could have been replaced at any time with an alternative. A bunch of alternatives tried to get off the ground, some succeeded more than others, but most never overcame the original, if they ever picked up at all.

It'll be the same way here. If the community doesn't leave the original home because they're "settled there", alternatives will not grow.

This entire migration from Reddit should make it it very, very plain how utterly impossible it is to get large groups of users to move. Reddit is all but whipping them with jumper cables right now and they're still using it.

You can't just expect communities to move because the admins suck. You have to actually attract them there.

• @jarfil@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      9 months ago

That was possible on Reddit too

Not really. Reddit is a single platform, you get the same overbearing comment-editing admins, with the same tunnel-vision automod tools and black-hole recurse process no matter what new sub you make.

Moving people off a platform is the hardest part, they need to learn new tools an ways of doing things… and TL;DR you lost them.

On lemmy and the fediverse, leaving unwelcoming mods/admins behind is as easy as going to another instance, no need to change the ways of using it. Still need to attract that community, but it's orders of magnitude easier on a federated platform.

• @HardlightCereal@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      39 months ago

Yeah, I haven't used Lemmy in a month because this site is more transphobic than Reddit. I'll be here more now that Reddit isn't an option, but it's not like I think this place is good either. Lemmy needs to step up its game.

• @JohnnyEnzyme@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        29 months ago

I haven’t used Lemmy in a month because this site is more transphobic than Reddit.

Well that's very disappointing if true. Could you give an example?

Btw, just to be clear-- Lemmy isn't "one site," so you're likely to get a wide range of reactions depending on issue/cause where you happen to be (communities, instances).

• @HardlightCereal@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          9 months ago

Look at my sub c/chaotesvspatriarchy. I created it on Reddit, moved it to Lemmy during the protests, and gave up on it after a while because lemmy.world users would see trans memes and downvote.

c/twoxchromosomes@slrpnk.net is also an absolute terf magnet that I tried to get shut down