One of the most aggravating things to me in this world has to be the absolutely rampant anti-intellectualism that dominates so many conversations and debates, and its influence just seems to be expanding. Do you think there will ever actually be a time when this ends? I'd hope so once people become more educated and cultural changes eventually happen, but as of now it honestly infuriates me like few things ever have.

• @ThePenitentOneOP
    link
    -29 months ago

What's wrong with that? Just an example, imagine living in a world where most people consume animal products without second thought, despite the absolute moral atrocity that is committed as a result of it. You'd be pathetic to not be outraged at it. People should care about the consequences of their actions, but most people hypocritically selective in what ways they are.

• @ThePenitentOneOP
        link
        19 months ago

They might not be agreed upon. But I'd really like to see a single good justification before I die. I know most people don't care. But that itself is disgusting. If they were put in the animal's position they would cry about injustice, all while also not caring when they are not. An argument reliant on speciesism is as good as one of racism or any other form of prejudice.

• jrbaconcheese
      link
      fedilink
      English
      29 months ago

Is it anti-morality or anti-intellectualism you were concerned with? Now I’m confused.

• @ThePenitentOneOP
        link
        19 months ago

Both. Most people who eat meat would say animal abuse is wrong, all while ignoring their own contribution. A lack of intellectual honesty and logical consistency that leads to moral problems is also anti-intellectual. They would say slavery is wrong because it is prejudice, and unjust for 'xyz' reasons, while also saying 'xyz' reasons aren't good enough to change their mind away from eating meat.