There are many lemmy instances in the world, but currently most people are using lemmy.world. This is why everything has gotten so slow.

You don’t have to delete your lemmy.world account, but check out https://lemmy.fediverse.observer/map it’s a geo-based map of lemmy instances – explore stuff nearest you, pick one, sign up, search , subscribe and begin interacting with your favorite communities. It’s easy, free and it will be faster. Try it!

• @IceQuest@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I tried to migrate to another instance by rejoining the same communities as this account. However I can’t seem to find some of the communities anymore through the other instance’s search page. There’s no indication that there’s any defederation going on.

I still have no idea what a proper community joining process is. I just go to the search page, type it in and scroll through the random comments until I find a link to a community.

If only I could just copy the community link, right now it’ll just open up with lemmy.world again, so I have to go through the other instance’s search page. Please let me know if there’s a guide of any kind.

Edit: Ok you need to manually type the URLs. E.g. if you wanted to open this community on lemmy.ml, type “lemmy.ml/c/fediverse@lemmy.world

That’s a kinda clunky experience ngl. How is the average normie going to feel about appending URLs in the address bar tho.