Some examples:

• Android
  • Alpine: Alpine Linux is built around musl libc and busybox
  • glaucus: A simple and lightweight Linux distribution based on musl libc and toybox
  • Chimera (alpha stage): Chimera uses a novel combination of core tools from FreeBSD, the LLVM toolchain, and the Musl C library
  • @ChristianWS@lemmy.eco.br
    link
    fedilink
    148 months ago
    • Chimera (alpha stage): Chimera uses a novel combination of core tools from FreeBSD, the LLVM toolchain, and the Musl C library

Who was the incredible smart person to name a new distro with a similar name to another, older, Linus distro? ChimeraOS

• @GameWarrior
      link
      118 months ago

Honestly when I first read that I just assumed that ChimeraOS decided to go in an new direction. Also it’s not like ChimeraOS is some small super niche distro it seems relatively popular.

• @entropicdrift@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      38 months ago

Also, on their main page:

Chimera aims to eliminate legacy cruft where possible to deliver a modern, general purpose, fully featured operating system that is simple but complete.

While on their Community page:

Our primary means of communication is IRC. […] We ask you to refrain from using advanced Matrix features, such as reactions, editing, message removal, markup and multi-line messages while using the chat. This is because users on IRC side will either not see that or it will clutter the channel. Stick to simple, plain text messages, like you would if you were on IRC.

Do you think they’re aware of the irony of relying on crusty old IRC while touting about Linux having legacy cruft and their code being better?

• q66
        link
        fedilink
        08 months ago

@entropicdrift would you mind elaborating how the choice of a chat protocol is connected to technical aspects of an operating system? i feel like i’m not galaxy brain enough for that

• @entropicdrift@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          28 months ago

It’s just an ironic contradiction of philosophy.

Over on the OS side they’re dedicated to making a fresh start and leaving behind crufty old standards, but on their chat server they’ve limited their chat tech to the capabilities of IRC, a chat protocol so old it pre-dates Linux.

• q66
            link
            fedilink
            -18 months ago

@entropicdrift considering how universal IRC is for open source and how other solutions are persistently lacking for the purpose (either by being proprietary, lacking decent clients, having embarrassing protocol decisions, being obscure, etc), there isn’t really much other choice (that’s not to say IRC is anywhere close to without flaws but it’s simple, low barrier of entry, and resilient)