I’ve been re-watching star trek voyager recently, and I’ve heard when filming, they didn’t clear the wide angle of filming equipment, so it’s not as simple as just going back to the original film. With the advancement of AI, is it only a matter of time until older programs like this are released with more updated formats?

And if yes, do you think AI could also upgrade to 4K. So theoretically you could change a SD 4:3 program and make it 4k 16:9.

I’d imagine it would be easier for the early episodes of Futurama for example due to it being a cartoon and therefore less detailed.

• @Couldbealeotard@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      38 months ago

The issues in Stargate were not because they were framing for 4:3, they were just clumsy mistakes.

Stargate was always framed for widescreen.

If you watch the HD versions of Atlantis you will also notice lots of focus issues. Not to mention across all 3 series there were plenty of things that ended up on screen by mistake: scripts laying around in a Goa’uld cargo hold, a Snickers wrapper in an alien space station, people holding up plants, and offensive remarks about the French.

• @SARGEx117@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        18 months ago

Oh, for sure they made tons of mistakes, I just thought of that one as the most glaringly obvious “framing issue”. I’ve seen all the episodes as aired and as on DVD, with commentary and special features, because I’m a super nerd, and given your pfp and the fact you know how they framed it tells me you know a thing or two yourself!

If I remember correctly, they framed it for wide-screen knowing that in the future it could be put out in other formats than TV, so wanted widescreen from the start. Bts footage shows the framing boxes for tv/wide on the monitors.

I love catching mistakes and weird choices in my shows. For instance: in Firefly, Alan Tudyk is pretending to hold the controls of Serenity because they couldn’t have him up in the normal spot for framing reasons.

But yeah, I’m actually rewatching SGA now and their weird focus issues (and let’s be honest, terrible backgrounds) are especially bad in season 1.