• @xkforce@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    8 months ago

The vast majority of mentally ill people are not violent. The idea that mental illness is largely responsible for the prevalence of mass shooters contributes to the stigma already attached to mental illness.

• @shalafi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      188 months ago

Know what did happen shortly before Columbine? Reagan dissembled our mental health infrastructure.

I was a teen in the late 80’s. Hell, I thought homelessness was a normal thing I simply hadn’t heard of until MTv started flogging it.

And if the mass shooting didn’t start post-Columbine…? LOL, we didn’t have that word in our lexicon.

FFS, we used to able to buy shotguns in the auto parts store. But suddenly, guns and “easy access” are the problem?

Why don’t you folks start a fight you have a chance of actually winning? Shut down the right-wing propaganda, hard, yesterday.

And while we’re at it, I’d kill for a solid study on how many killers, including suicides, are left/right politically. We both know how that’s gonna play out.

• @xkforce@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        8 months ago

I am saying that something else started it. Mental health care has been terrible for way longer than Columbine. And youre going to have to explain why there was a decade and a half gap between Reagan and this mass shooting. Dont get me wrong, Reagan was a real piece of shit but I don’t think mental health or the lack of it is the major cause. Easy access to guns OTOH…

• @ArcaneSlime@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        98 months ago

Mass shootings pre columbine were more rare but weren’t unheard of. Mostly they were belltower or highway sniper style incidents or postal related as they were severely overworked at the time.

Also, while mass shootings were more rare, not only could you get one at the hardware store you could order a full auto directly to your door with no background check or even ID for a while.

Just to add.

• @EatATaco@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        68 months ago

Up until 2000, the NRA was actually a big supporter of gun control. At that point they switched to being pretty much zero tolerance for any gun control, and even trying to dismantle gun control.

One could apply the same logic you just did to blame mental health regulations to blame this instead.

• @lightnsfw@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      18 months ago

No one is saying all mentally ill people are violent. They’re saying most of these mass shooters are mentally ill. What stigma? That mentally ill people should have help available to them?