I had an email yesterday telling me that the Apple One subscription was going up for the second time in twelve months.

It no longer represents good value for me and I can save nearly £100 a year by cancelling and subscribing to the important parts that I use most.

Apple are not alone in increasing prices (in a cost of living crisis) to the point they no longer represent fair value. What is it with companies that they lack basic business smarts?

• @sky@codesink.io
      link
      fedilink
      English
      208 months ago

I don’t think you understand what Apple Fitness+ is? You don’t have to pay for access to any health data?

It’s a service with workout videos lead by instructors, like what Peloton offers with their app. It’s pretty good, I enjoy the yoga classes on my Apple TV.

• @ScoobyDoo27@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          98 months ago

Fitness+ costs less per month than a peloton subscription.

I also don’t know why you say music is a shit deal when it costs the same as all the other competing services. The 2TB cloud storage is also $10 a month which matches the competition too, just like you said you were paying. I will agree with news+ though, it’s garbage.

• @phoneymouse@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            8 months ago

As a new junkie, I love News+. It’s got a lot of content with no paywalls. Also they have audio articles, so you can listen to long form stories like an audiobook. Great for the car.

Ultimately, I think the plan is worth it, especially with family members being able to use it too. Some use Fitness, some use TV+, some use News, all use iCloud+. Music is good to have, even though most of us use Spotify.

I do wish they offered some ala cart option so that I could opt out of the services no one uses and still save a little money with a discounted rate.

• @mnrockclimber@lemmy.sdf.org
              link
              fedilink
              English
              18 months ago

The problem I have with News+ is this… if you thumbs down a source or even outright block it, News+ still shows it as a tapable tile. It just says “You’ve blocked this source” instead of showing the underlying material that would have been there. It’s an incredibly stupid UI design. If I’ve blocked a site it shouldn’t show up at all. Put a different story in its place.

The other thing Indont like is that even the paid tier of News+ still has ads. A premium price should have a premium experience.

link
                fedilink
                edit-2
                8 months ago

Yeah, I find the placeholder a bit annoying too. I guess it’s probably intended to make you aware that you’re creating your own news bubble. That was a criticism of Facebook… that its algorithm was not even showing content/perspectives in one side of the political spectrum to people on the other side. And vice versa.

Also, News+ ads are easily blocked by a DNS-level ad blocker like Pihole or, the cloud-based one, NextDNS.

link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      8 months ago

What a ridiculous comment. Not everyone has your needs and half your gripes aren’t even based on factually correct information. It doesn’t even sound like you use Apple products, so why are you here? Just dropping in to show your ignorance?

Apple Music is pretty similar to Spotify. That’s an established business model and the price is pretty much the same between the two. Apple Arcade isn’t unlike other subscription game services, also an established business model. News+ is a new thing, but offers a lot of convenience with no paywalls and hours of long form articles in audio format. Worth it for that alone.

If all you want to pay for is iCloud+ and TV+ because you don’t value the other services, then you can do that for $20/month, not $38.

And, no you do not need to pay for Apple Fitness to use your Apple Watch and “get your metrics.”Fitness+ is video workout classes for people who want to use that. Otherwise, the watch works perfectly fine to “get your metrics.” Go for a run, jerk yourself off, it’ll measure your heart rate, “lifetime data for free.”

But, tell me more about how instead I should subscribe to Photoshop, which I don’t even use, and get 4TB of cloud storage, which is more than my entire family needs. If I did want 4TB, though, I could also get that for $20/month. So, why are you complaining again?