• @grill@thelemmy.club
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Yeah, but I’m sure a lot of people just bought youtube premium. I know my friend did…stupid idiot.

• Eggyhead
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      8 months ago

I wonder how business owners feel about their advertisements being weaponized to push people toward subscription plans that eliminate advertisements.

• SokathHisEyesOpen
        link
        fedilink
        English
        148 months ago

Google doesn’t give a shit what their advertisers think. It’s not a “please buy our ads” situation, it’s a “where else would you advertise online, you stupid fuck?” type of situation.

• 4dpuzzle
          link
          fedilink
          English
          28 months ago

Google reached that position by keeping the platform pleasant till no one else was left standing. That should be an antitrust activity in any free market. Remember this when you see Google gaslighting you about the moral implications of using adblocks.

• @nous@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        98 months ago

People that were running ad blockers were not seeing ads and business owners were not paying for those blocked ads. So I don’t see why they would care at all.

• @Goopadrew@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          48 months ago

True, but people who used to be served one ad per video are now being served 4 or 5, which both lessens the value of each individual ad, and gives more incentive to get rid of them with premium

• @MJBrune@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      218 months ago

I was going to buy premium then I saw the price. It’s like 14 a month, 24 for family, per month. To add on top of that, every subscription service has been increasing prices so in a few years it’s probably going to be 20/30 dollars a month. Additionally, I already pay Google for 2 TB drive space for personal for 11 dollars a month and 13 dollars a month for a company workspace with one user. So why would I pay 24 more dollars to Google, and 30 dollars down the road?

Honestly, if Protonmail had better prices I’d likely switch but right now a more expensive service for fewer features isn’t what I am going for. It’s currently 30 dollars a month for only 3TB. I get 2 TB for just 11 dollars, family is free. Not to mention switching the whole family is a whole conversation and getting it to work on everyone’s device is a headache with any service. As much as I would want to degoogle, I use Android, I use Google Voice, and I likely am not going to switch those. It’s not really going to help me untie from Google and would just cause me headaches.

• sacredbirdman
        link
        fedilink
        38 months ago

I use Hetzner’s Storage Share (which is a nextcloud instance) as my drive and pay around 5€ / mo for 1 TB. Depending on the features you want you could also use their Storage Box which is more like a plain network drive, and cheaper… like 13€ / mo for 5 TB.

• @zzzzz@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          18 months ago

Why not just get the storage box and run the Nextcloud instance with the storage box mounted? Just curious.

• sacredbirdman
            link
            fedilink
            28 months ago

You should be able to do that, you’d just need to set up and maintain the Nextcloud instance yourself :)

• @Salvo@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        38 months ago

I could justify the AU$30 per month for myself and my housemate, but at AU$43, they can GAGTGF.

• @SturgiesYrFase@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          68 months ago

GAGTGF?
          I have no idea what this means, but I feel like it’s probably something I’d like in my back pocket to pull out and throw in someone’s face…kinda like pocket sand.

• @Salvo@aussie.zone
            link
            fedilink
            English
            38 months ago

GAGYGF is Go And Get Your Guts F… GAGTGF substitutes “Your” for “Their”. “GagyGoof” does roll off the tongue a bit better than “GagTeeGoof”.

• @blindsight@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            38 months ago

I tried to take a stab at it, but I’m coming up empty.

Go And Get Totally Gang Fucked
            Get A Grip To Get Fucked
            Give A Gummer Then Get Fucked

• Dept
        link
        fedilink
        28 months ago

damn here in Egypt it’s a dollar a month for students or 2 for others. even with the purchasing power difference its a pretty good deal

• reric88🧩
      link
      fedilink
      58 months ago

I’ve had YouTube premium from the inception of their subscription model prior to/at the beginning of YouTube red, as I initially had a paid Google music subscription.

Personally, there isn’t a better option for the amount of hassle involved in my opinion. It’s a family account, and managing so many people’s YouTube experiences on at least a dozen different devices would be a nightmare I don’t want to think about. (Multiple of each TV’s, Roku’s, Android phones, iPhones, pc’s, etc)

This isn’t really relevant to your friend, it is quite silly when it’s just one person not willing to do it for just themselves.