I’m in US-GA and I cannot find denatured alcohol locally. WTF happened? I need something 100% alcohol for cleaning electronics.

• @justaveg@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    71 year ago

Maybe if it is 100%. I have tried 91% and it doesn’t work as well. It needs to be able to clean rosin flux.

• @justaveg@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        51 year ago

We don’t really have electronics stores here anymore. The highest I’ve seen locally is 91%, and while it does kind of clean it off, denatured alcohol has always worked a lot better for me so it’s disappointing to see that it’s gone. I’ll probably just order some online. But still, I’d be interested in knowing why.

• Hypx
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Very few people bother with hobbyist electronics anymore. It’s not surprising that 100% alcohol is dead in retail stores. Most demand for it today is related to disinfectants.

• @quixotic120@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I used to use 91 to clean flux and it works fine, might have to do a few passes though

If you clean flux regularly I highly suggest getting a cheap ultrasonic bath and some branson EC solution. It comes concentrated so a bottle lasts forever and solution can be reused a few times. If you only do a few projects a year it’s way overkill but I do a lot of rework stuff and it’s soooo much easier to just drop stuff in the bath for 20m when I’m done. A used decent sized one was like $80 and the solution was like $40 for a quart which has lasted me 2 years so far because I only change the bath once a month and it’s like 2% per gallon. Also super handy for cleaning corroded pcbs, stuff like that if you do repair work