yet they’re still priced and treated culturally like luxury toys

• Ghostalmedia
    link
    fedilink
    English
    78 months ago

You can get a decent smart phone for $0 on a contract here in the US. Same as it was back in days of dumb candy bar and RAZR flip phones.

And like the old days, there are phones you can spend a lot of money on. But these are also a fast portable computer and a killer camera.

IMHO, the pricing makes total sense to me. Hell, before cell phone cameras got good, people commonly spent $400+ on nice point and shoot camera.

• Sephtis-6
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      58 months ago

Here in Europe you can also get pretty good phones with such contracts. But the contracts are insanely overpriced for sometime 30€/month for 2gb. Where you pay 10€ for 2gb without a phone.

I know phones cost money but when they lock you in a shitty contract for 2 or even 4 years, is it even worth it.

• @Tvkan@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        8 months ago

I know phones cost money but when they lock you in a shitty contract for 2 or even 4 years, is it even worth it.

In the EU, mobile phone contracts have been limited to 24 months since 2011.

• Sephtis-6
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          18 months ago

Ok didn’t know that. But that is a good explanation why i haven’t seen 4y contracts since some years

• @Honytawk@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      48 months ago

A contract like that doesn’t make the phone free.

You just pay for it over time and pay more in the end.

They just incorporate the price into your subscription and lock you in it, making it overpriced.