• @afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    157 months ago

I think a course covering religion should be taught in schools. Roughly the way I would structure it is 2x a week for 12 weeks. 10 weeks on the 10 biggest religions of the world, 1 week on a religion that is not in the top ten globally but it locally important or historically important to the area, and 1 week teacher’s choice.

• @LifeInMultipleChoice@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      7 months ago

Sounds like you want religious studies and not theology. It is taught many places but usually first appears in high school or you can get degrees in college. I can’t speak for how they break down their study guide, I’m sure they all vary a bit.

• @Lemmyvisitor@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      47 months ago

would be good for cultural awareness if nothing else. You could mix and match the concepts you like from each religion so you take something away from it.

• @DashboTreeFrog
      link
      English
      17 months ago

I remember needing to learn about different mythologies of different cultures in English classes throughout my time as a student, sounds like a more structured, modern version of that.

Now that I’m thinking back, I do remember one American teacher I had (this was not in America) who taught us “The Bible as Literature” back in middle school and am only now realizing she was probably trying to convert us.

• @sfgifz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      17 months ago

10 weeks on the 10 biggest religions of the world, 1 week on a religion that is not in the top ten globally but it locally important or historically important to the area

I’d say it should be the opposite - learning about the culture around you is more meaningful to learn about your own roots (even if you don’t believe it it, knowledge is useful).