a.k.a. the 90–9–1 principle. Does the Fediverse follow this rule, or are there more creators here as early adopters? Are you a creator, a participator or a lurker?

• The Menemen!
    link
    fedilink
    English
    201 year ago

How do people like I fit in? People who comment a lot and occasionally post stuff.

• @Boddhisatva@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      101 year ago

If you follow OP’s link, the wiki suggests another rule that I think is more accurate. The 1–9–90 rule. 1% create new content, 9% (including you and me) contribute, and 90% lurk.

• @AfricanExpansionist@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        51 year ago

I’ve seen it described as such:

10 percent of a site’s users bother to make a user ID, and ten percent of those people actually contribute.

• @JeffCraig@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          21 year ago

Wikipedia is a different concept though.

This is social media. Wiki is information. I come here to share thoughts, but I only go to wiki to find data.

Almost everyone on social media posts random bullshit. That’s why there are tons and tons of comments on every post.

Things like reddit and Lemmy probably have at least 50% participation from their daily active users.

• @AfricanExpansionist@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            11 year ago

This rule precedes Wikipedia and originally applies to you things like BBS boards and the like.

I believe it about Reddit. Most people show up and browse /r/all. That’s why spez freaked out about big subreddits like pics and ELI5 going NSFW. Those are the biggest eyeball magnets, regularly appearing on the main site.

Some users learn that they can subscribe to specific content and make accounts only for that purpose. A few actually make the effort to submit posts and comments.

• Hello Hotel
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      1 year ago

What did you do on your last platform

(prb not the best person to help you as i lerked, and then just blew up commenting 14 times in 10 hrs lol)

• The Menemen!
        link
        fedilink
        English
        21 year ago

The same. Posting stuff once every 3-4 month, commenting 1-10 times per day.

• @milesOP
      link
      English
      21 year ago

You fit in great! 😀