Compared to established, age-old platform? Yes, we’re less developed. But do you know what’s even worse? Corporate greed! Rest assured, we’ll improve and mature over time.

• @PseudoCyborg@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      21 year ago

I’m not the OP here but my biggest hurdle has just been finding similar communities to the ones I regularly browsed on Reddit. I don’t totally understand how the difference instances work here, or if that affects different communities being visible when I’m searching for something. It seems that if I am signed out of my account on one instance and search for something then I get a lot more results vs if I’m signed into this account and try to search.

I’m also using Jerboa, but was a Sync Pro user for years before. I’m looking forward to those devs releasing an application for Lemmy in the future.

• @Myro@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        11 year ago

Yes, discoverability is a large weakness of federate systems. As I understood it:

• Instances host communities
        • You can access communities from other instances
        • To find a community hosted on another instance via search, at least 1 user has to have explicitly interacted with that community (search for it using the full name including instance name)
        • This registers it to your ‘home’ instance
        • This means, if no one searched for it explicitly, you won’t find it and won’t know it even exists.

Second, due to instances being separate, there can be multiple variations of the same community. For example, a community “Technology” could exist on 10 different instances and is entirely independent from any other with the same name.