I know the topic of whether adblock is piracy is debated, but I am guessing there are a lot of adblock users here and I was wondering if anyone has seen the youtube adblock warning message in the wild. I use ublock origin and still haven’t seen it once.

• @terminhell@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          181 year ago

Pihole works wonders for mobile apps in general. Especially games. Ublock and pihole are similar but different enough to use both. Yes, ublock is overall better for browsers. But for network wide coverage, including smart TV’S, mobile apps, iot stuff like ring cameras etc.

• @kostel_thecreed@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            51 year ago

I agree with this since I myself use PiHole, but it is redundant on a browser which uses ublock - and that was my original point.

• @ColdCreasent@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              edit-2
              1 year ago

Piehole would be the “whole house/device” Adblock protection. Ublock is the one device Adblock. Fair to use both in my opinion.

link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            1 year ago

It’s needed.

no it’s not. It’s convenient, but not needed. Same goes for adblockers, they are not needed, but are very convenient.

Having two Adblock’s isn’t a problem either.

Yes it is. Is there any advantage to having 4 different adblock extensions on your browser? No, it only increases the attack surface to your browser. PiHole is useful for everything but web browsing since you can use an adblocker, such as ublock origin.

• Nato Boram
          link
          fedilink
          English
          41 year ago

It would help on other websites and on some in-app ads from mobile devices

• Zorque
              link
              fedilink
              31 year ago

Redundancies being a bad thing is a very capitalist point of view.

• Shurimal
                  link
                  fedilink
                  21 year ago

In a capitalist POV, redundancy is just unneeded cost for things that are “not needed”.

In an engineering POV redundancy is insurance to make sure things work as needed even when part of the system fails.

For example, Apollo flight computers were triple redundant, and the outputs from all three were compared before being fed into engines. If two outputs would be 0.98, but one was 0.12, it’s most likely that the third one is wrong and should be discarded. This makes it very likely that correct control intput is given to the engines all times and the whole thing would not crash and burn because of a random bit flip.

• @Aux@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          -11 year ago

uBlock is NOT redundant as many ads today are not served from 3rd party domains. PiHole is redundant as it doesn’t do crap.

link
            fedilink
            English
            11 year ago

do you realise that ublock origin blocks ads from remote domains right? Enable “I am an advanced user” and be shocked to see how many external resources it allows and blocks.