• @GlitzyArmrest@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    606 months ago

As of January 2024 Sony has a market cap of $116.02 Billion. This makes Sony the world’s 119th most valuable company by market cap.

Yeah, $14 mil is the cost of doing business for Sony, a slap on the wrist.

• @CobblerScholar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      326 months ago

A straight cash amount is never enough, should be more like a whole number percentage of all dividends payed out that year. The guy who owns just a little of Sony might lose a couple dollars, the majority shareholders will lose millions personally and will put pressure on Sony to cut it the fuck out

• SokathHisEyesOpen
          link
          fedilink
          English
          156 months ago

That doesn’t account for the frustration and confusion, the time wasted troubleshooting, the loss of property and time spent replacing it, the consumer trust violations, and the destruction of private property. They should face criminal charges for destruction of private property. By “they” I mean the executives who created and mandated this idea. Then they should be required to pay pain and suffering to each affected user at a rate of $100 per hour, with 5-10 hours assumed, and then have to replace the controllers they broke. Not give money to replace them, they should be required to immediately ship a new controller of the same type that they broke. Anything else is just lip-service, and a nice check for some random law firm.

• Pxtl
          link
          fedilink
          English
          16 months ago

I don’t think the controllers are literally “damaged”, it sounds like just muddling legal terminology with technical terminology.

The controllers are still physically functional in the same way they were before the patch, they’re just mo longer consistently connecting to the ps5. If Sony rolls back the patch they will return to normal.

That said, returns and reputational damages would be substantial to these companies and the fine does sound too small for such blatant anti-competitive and anti-consumer action.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
            link
            English
            116 months ago

If Sony caused them to malfunction to the point where the user bought a new controller, then I’d consider that damaged. The controller could no longer be used for its intended purpos.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
                link
                English
                16 months ago

If they intentionally made 3rd party controllers not function with their product, that’s monopolistic behavior and should absolutely be stopped.

If Sony didn’t provide any message saying it was an unsupported device and caused people to buy new devices, that would be considered damages.

• @PrincessEli@reddthat.com
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  -36 months ago

If they intentionally made 3rd party controllers not function with their product, that’s monopolistic behavior and should absolutely be stopped

Fucking hardly. It’s their shit, they can make it compatible with whatever they like.

• SokathHisEyesOpen
      link
      fedilink
      English
      86 months ago

It’s not even that. That’s like a rounding error for them. They won’t even notice.

• @IvanOverdrive@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      26 months ago

But this does damage the brand. Not only am I never going to buy another PlayStation, I’m not going to buy another pair of Sony headphones.

• @starman2112@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        136 months ago

Unfortunately, brand damage isn’t really a thing anymore. You’re never going to buy a Sony product again the same way I’m never going to buy a Blizzard product again. They account for the loss of sales

• FiveMacs
            link
            fedilink
            English
            26 months ago

We have a lot more then we give ourselves credit for…but the amount of times I see people bitch about a store then go right back is absurd. People just don’t care and companies know that. They are immune to punishment. It’s just a bribe they make to have the paperwork go away and maybe make some generic twitter post about it.