Exercise is hitting. My brain gives up way before my body does. Even when I try and listen to music or watch shows while exercising, I just can’t keep at it.

Has anyone found an ADHD friendly way to exercise?

• @TDCN@feddit.dk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    36 months ago

I did swimming for a few years when I was living close to a big swim hall and passed right by it on my way home from work. It does require a bit of motivation to start, but for me when I first got into the water it felt natural to just keep moving. Swam for 30~40 min and then going to sauna for 15 min and a nice hot shower afterwards was such a reward for my brain it always felt worth it. Now I moved and is sad I don’t live close to one. Also as got super tired afterwards but in a nice way. Felt good. I wasn’t medicated back then let alone knowing anything about ADHD so in hindsight, with medication I might have better odds of feeling even better after a good swim.

• @YaketySax
      link
      English
      26 months ago

Swimming is the easiest for me to do - I find the rhythm soothing and I like being away from any technology so I can just think or focus on the swimming.

• @TDCN@feddit.dk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        36 months ago

That could be one of the good reasons it worked so well for me. No chance of distractions from phone, TV, birds, houses people, sounds etc. Just the rhythm of the water and straight forward task. Also I’m thinking that it almost requires more brain effort to stop because of the whole changing clothes and shower process so to avoid that task i just stay in the water a bit longer. And the heat from the sauna is good at “melting my brain” so my thoughts get calmed down a bit and feels rewarding.