• axont [she/her, comrade/them]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      6 months ago

I had completely forgotten about the obsession with common core. Most of it had to do with opposition to teaching long division in a step-by-step way, right? I remember my uncle freaking out about a video of a woman teaching multiplication by showing how to add sets of numbers. He described it as common core math and for the life of me I can’t understand exactly what conservatives were trying to say. I think the idea was that schools wanted to dumb down math to make everyone pass.

i think the reality was that American education is so poor and kids are so behind that teaching very remedial math is probably an improvement

• RyanGosling [none/use name]
        link
        fedilink
        English
        16 months ago

A lot of it came from parents whose children were apparently confused about the methods. It’s understandable to be upset and confused, but to have a crusade about it was really weird to me. Personally I don’t like it, but that’s because I hate math and only see adding numbers as a tool rather than a way to understand the world. But it doesn’t hurt for children to learn in different ways lol