I have a unique name, think John Doe, and I’m hoping to create a unique and “professional” looking email account like johndoe@gmail.com or john@doe.com. Since my name is common, all reasonable permutations are taken. I was considering purchasing a domain with something unique, then making personal family email accounts for john@mydoe.com jane@mydoe.com etc.

Consider that I’m starting from scratch (I am). Is there a preferred domain registrar, are GoDaddy or NameCheap good enough? Are there prebuilt services I can just point my domain to or do I need to spin up a VPS and install my own services? Are there concerns tying my accounts to a service that might go under or are some “too big to fail”?

I can expand what hangs off the domain later, but for now I just need a way to make my own email addresses and use them with the relative ease of Gmail or others. Thanks in advance!!

• lemmyvore
    link
    fedilink
    English
    86 months ago

GoDaddy is notorious for terrible service and NameCheap has started doing some shady stuff too lately. Luckily there are other decent registrars out there. I can recommend Netim.com or INWX.de in the EU – they also provide EU-specific TLDs which American registrars don’t.

If you need more than one mailbox you can’t beat the offers from providers like PurelyMail/MXRoute/Migadu, where you pay for the storage instead of per-mailbox. I’m using Migadu because, again, they work under EU/Swiss privacy laws.

Here are some more providers if you’re interested in taking advantage of EU privacy: https://european-alternatives.eu/category/email-providers

You do not need to spin up your own mail service and should not. Email and DNS hosting are the most abuse-prone and easy to mess up services; always go to an established provider for these.

Are there concerns tying my accounts to a service that might go under or are some “too big to fail”?

Look into their history. Generally speaking a provider that’s been around for a decade or more probably won’t dissapear overnight; they probably have a sustainable income model and have been around the block.

That being said nothing saves even long-established providers from being acquired. This happened for example to a French service (Gandi) with over 20 years of history.

The only answer to that is to pick providers that don’t lock you into proprietary technologies and offer standard services like IMAP, and also to keep your domain+DNS and your email providers separate. This way if the email service starts hiking prices or does anything funny you can copy your email, switch your domain(s), and be with another provider the very next day.

• lemmyvore
        link
        fedilink
        English
        26 months ago

A general reduction in service quality, increasing domain prices (double check your renewals) and there are reports of domain name sniping (where they grab names that people are looking up).

• Mubelotix
          link
          fedilink
          English
          16 months ago

Still much less bullshit than other providers. It has less dark patterns than OVH. I would also recommend their VPN service for beeing so cheap the first year

• @scarilog@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        26 months ago

.com domains recently got more expensive. Almost double in price compared to CloudFlare (who sell domains at cost).

• @rar
      link
      English
      16 months ago

Gandi’s case hurts me. I had been paying for years but they kept raising their prices like dragonball z power levels.