Thailand’s new government is moving ahead to pass new legisalation banning cannabis for recreational use in a major reversal 18 months after the country became the first in Asia to decriminalize the plant.

The relaxed laws saw a lucrative cannabis industry catering to locals and foreigners alike boom across the Southeast Asian nation, but a new conservative coalition government came to power late last year vowing to tighten the rules and only allow medical use.

A draft bill was released on Tuesday by Thailand’s health ministry outlining hefty fines or prison sentences of up to one year for offenders – or both.

• Bonehead
        link
        fedilink
        305 months ago

Cannabis doesn’t cause schizophrenia. It merely brings out symptoms earlier than normal in individuals that already have schizophrenia but haven’t had a major episode yet.

Repeat after me: Correlation Does Not Equal Causation.

• Bonehead
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            5 months ago

Again, cannabis doesn’t cause schizophrenia. If you experience symptoms after consuming cannabis, you already had schizophrenia and just didn’t know it yet. I’m not saying there aren’t risks, I’m just saying that becoming schizophrenic with no preexisting condition isn’t one of them.

• Bonehead
                link
                fedilink
                15 months ago

“causes symptoms to occur earlier normal in individuals that already have schizophrenia but haven’t had a major episode yet” is definitely “causation” and not “correlation.”

No, it’s correlation because the schizophrenia already existed. The cannabis didn’t create the condition. It may have exasperated the condition, but the condition would eventually come out without the cannabis.

• Bonehead
                    link
                    fedilink
                    15 months ago

If you have a preexisting heart condition and eat things that exasperate it, those things didn’t give you the heart condition. It simply made it worse.

If you have preexisting schizophrenia and you consume cannabis, the cannabis didn’t give you schizophrenia. It simply made it worse.

• rigatti
        link
        fedilink
        English
        205 months ago

Can you share some of that research with me? Anecdotally, I know plenty of non-schizophrenic stoners.

• gregorum
        link
        fedilink
        English
        165 months ago

Cannabis doesn’t cause anyone to “develop” schizophrenia.

• @kttnpunk@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            105 months ago

That doesnt mean it’s dangerous to society at large, and I’d argue that authoritarism IS. Also, (illicit) heavy cannabis use saved my life and is the only thing that adaquately treats my depression and allows me to function like a normal human being. So reading this honestly makes me want to tell you to go play in traffic -The world is bleak-a-fucking-nough I hope you’re at least getting paid to post this crap

• Deceptichum
              link
              fedilink
              15 months ago

So what’s wrong with eating a dick?

Is oral sex performed on men a bad thing for a person to engage in?

• NoIWontPickaName
                link
                fedilink
                15 months ago

I am not the guy who said it and I don’t remember his exact phrasing.

Eat a dick can be homophonic but is not only homophonic.

• Deceptichum
                  link
                  fedilink
                  15 months ago

What is the none homophobic usage for telling someone to eat a dick?

• NoIWontPickaName
                    link
                    fedilink
                    15 months ago

I can answer that, earlier today some chick was being a bitch, and I thought man she can eat a dick.

• NoIWontPickaName
                link
                fedilink
                15 months ago

I didn’t.

Earlier today some chick was a bitch and I thought it about her, so while it can be homophobic, it is not exclusively homophobic.

It’s been deleted now but I don’t recall anything about the either person mentioning whether or not they were a man.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
                link
                English
                15 months ago

It’s an idiom that means ‘go away forever’, but with malice (possibly extreme malice). It was pretty common at some point in the last 20 years, and wasn’t really used in a homophobic way. It was more of an, “I hope you get raped to death,” vibe.

‘Eat a dick’ is usually followed by ‘and die’.

But, it’s an older one, and these days it basically means, “go the fuck away”