Thailand’s new government is moving ahead to pass new legisalation banning cannabis for recreational use in a major reversal 18 months after the country became the first in Asia to decriminalize the plant.

The relaxed laws saw a lucrative cannabis industry catering to locals and foreigners alike boom across the Southeast Asian nation, but a new conservative coalition government came to power late last year vowing to tighten the rules and only allow medical use.

A draft bill was released on Tuesday by Thailand’s health ministry outlining hefty fines or prison sentences of up to one year for offenders – or both.

• Bonehead
    link
    fedilink
    306 months ago

Cannabis doesn’t cause schizophrenia. It merely brings out symptoms earlier than normal in individuals that already have schizophrenia but haven’t had a major episode yet.

Repeat after me: Correlation Does Not Equal Causation.

• Bonehead
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        6 months ago

Again, cannabis doesn’t cause schizophrenia. If you experience symptoms after consuming cannabis, you already had schizophrenia and just didn’t know it yet. I’m not saying there aren’t risks, I’m just saying that becoming schizophrenic with no preexisting condition isn’t one of them.

• Bonehead
            link
            fedilink
            16 months ago

“causes symptoms to occur earlier normal in individuals that already have schizophrenia but haven’t had a major episode yet” is definitely “causation” and not “correlation.”

No, it’s correlation because the schizophrenia already existed. The cannabis didn’t create the condition. It may have exasperated the condition, but the condition would eventually come out without the cannabis.

• Bonehead
                link
                fedilink
                16 months ago

If you have a preexisting heart condition and eat things that exasperate it, those things didn’t give you the heart condition. It simply made it worse.

If you have preexisting schizophrenia and you consume cannabis, the cannabis didn’t give you schizophrenia. It simply made it worse.

• Bonehead
                    link
                    fedilink
                    16 months ago

If you have a pre-existing propensity for heart disease and eat a lot of red meat thus triggering it, would you at least acknowledge that it partially caused it?

Then why are you asking me to acknowledge this? And why did you insist that it was the causation and not simply correlation?