Breakthrough battery charges in minutes and lasts thousands of cycles::‘Lithium metal anode batteries are considered the holy grail of batteries,’ researcher says

• @Railison@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1176 months ago

I’ll believe it when it ships. I’m genuinely optimistic that we can develop better batteries, but I’ve seen this story too many times before.

• @SlopppyEngineer@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      416 months ago

Once a week for the last 10 years a breakthrough is announced and twice on a full moon.

Every “breakthrough” makes batteries a percentage point better though.

• @SuperSpruce@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        36 months ago

A cool thing to do is to go on a site like GSMArena and follow the battery capacity over time of a particular line of phone (you can adjust for phone weight and volume if you want). It’ll steadily go up.

In 2010 most phone batteries were 1000-1500mAh. Even something like 2000mAh was a huge battery.

In 2015, phone batteries were up to 2500-3000mAh.

In 2020, they were up to 4000-4500mAh. 5000mAh was considered a big battery.

Now, we are commonly seeing 5000-5500mAh batteries in mainstream phones, enabling most phones to get 12-14 hours of battery life (when new).

• @abhibeckert@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Those 90 stories you’ve seen generally did all ship. Just three decades ago lithium batteries stored about 80Wh per kg. These days it’s around 600Wh per kg and our progress has been particularly rapid lately.

Durability, safety and charge speeds have also all been improving. Oh and costs are coming down dramatically as well.

Ignore the “present” line on this chart as it’s an old one:

• LazaroFilm
      link
      fedilink
      English
      116 months ago

Same here. I’m not clicking on the article. I’ll celebrate when a retail product comes out with said battery.

• @FelipeFelop
      link
      English
      46 months ago

Remember fuel cells? One tiny drop would power your phone for a week.

• @TheDarkKnight@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      16 months ago

Battery news is pretty world changing so I understand whybit gets the same kind of attention miracle health advancements get. Unfortunately the hardest part remains making a commercially viable product but that said even finding new techniques that may not make it to market still advance the field further and expand our understanding.