Hella unlikely they were used to knit gloves

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
    link
    275 months ago

I like how archeologists never come to the conclusion that something could just be an art trend.

Everything has to have a useful purpose even though we all own stuff with no actual purpose.

• Oftentimes, that’s a sort of inside joke. If it’s even remotely probe-shaped, they assume it was used for sex. But since that doesn’t look nice on academic papers, they’ll use “ritual” as a euphemism.

Seriously, archeologists find a lot of ancient dildos.

• BarqsHasBite
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          5 months ago

Maybe 50 years ago. Don’t think there’s as much holdup now.

• @betterdeadthanreddit@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            15 months ago

Gotta disagree, I bet they’re still finding great-great-great-[…]-grandmother’s dildos (or -grandfather’s, who knows?) and they hold up just fine, all things considered.

• @Darthjaffacake@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Yeah it’s funny that’s never the conclusion but logically it makes sense to not dismiss something as unknown until we’re sure it wasn’t used for anything else. Still can’t wait for future civilizations to be very confused when they see my collection of funny looking coins.

• @Laticauda@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      5 months ago

They do come to that conclusion all the time, but in some cases it’s impossible to know for sure. If they don’t know for sure then they’re not going to say it’s definitely for decoration only, but they’ll list it as an option, which they have done for this object.

• DreamButt
      link
      fedilink
      English
      95 months ago

How dare you assert my wall of funkopops has no purpose!