• @Tyrangle@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    305 months ago

I was about to make this same comment, but I looked up some statistics and it seems that COVID still has a 10x hospitalization rate and 3-4x death rate among seniors as compared to seasonal flu. While it’s fair to say that COVID is probably seasonal now, like the flu, I think it’s important to acknowledge that it’s much more dangerous. I was never one to get flu shots in the past, but COVID shots seem like a good idea. I’ll probably stay home from work longer if I do catch COVID, and I’ll probably wear a mask if I have to go out in public before I’m fully recovered. I think we just need to recalibrate our common sense for this new reality.

https://www.ahcancal.org/News-and-Communications/Blog/Pages/Flu-or-COVID-19---Which-is-Worse.aspx

• @Jimmyeatsausage@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      125 months ago

Between new diseases and all the smoke from entire states and provinces burning each spring and summer and the unbearable heat and cold, we’re all gonna be walking around looking like sand people in a few years.

• @CaptKoala@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        15 months ago

Iirc in the 2019/20 bushfires here in Oz, over 1B hectares were scorched, flora and fauna decimated nationwide. I smoked for years, I can tell you now more damage was done to my airways by those fires than all the durries I punched.

If we’re going to burn the world to the ground, can we at least start with all the mansions, bunkers and superyachts?

• @Fluke
      link
      75 months ago

Just want to say this is a quality comment. Thanks. Good points made.