• @FireRetardant@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    665 months ago

It don’t matter how organized I am, my boss sees I’m done by noon on a friday he’ll give me more service calls, shop time or some other job to do.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
      link
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Wow, Sounds like you really need to work on your time management skills.

• @li10@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      525 months ago

That’s where you’re going wrong, you still need to pretend you’re doing work

• @FireRetardant@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        105 months ago

That only works until the last call I did calls to pay their bill and now the office knows I’m done my work. I usually just suck it up and take more work, I’d hoestly rather that than twiddle my thumbs for a few hours.

• Dandroid
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          5 months ago

Oh, I see. My work only knows I’m done by when I move my tickets to complete on Jira, so I just leave them as in progress until my due date. I work from home, so I just watch TV or play video games while sitting near my work laptop to respond to emails or chat messages in the meantime.

• @Coreidan@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          25 months ago

Twiddle your thumbs? You need some hobbies my dude. There is more to life than constantly working.

• Flying Squid
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      155 months ago

That’s why you develop the talent of looking busy while not doing shit.

• @GBU_28@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      15 months ago

That’s not the type of job they are referring to.

They’re referring to jobs where you have overarching goals and deliverables but aren’t logging actions to the event, or to the hour.

I’ve had jobs like yours and steady, dependable, maintainable pace is the way to get through the week. Don’t over promise, don’t look available for random new tasks.

At my current gig I have tasks issued at the 2 week level, and aside from very rare requests for assistance or discussion, I’m left to my to-do list, and my predetermined commitments. If I consistently meet my commitments, and show up for scheduled meetings, no one gives a shit when I actually work. It’s great but requires the right environment.