• @Ranvier@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    605 months ago

No they’re actually in NATO unlike Ukraine. If NATO didn’t defend them directly it would be the end of NATO. Even if Trump or someone uncooperative with NATO was president of the US, I think Europe would still engage in a collective defense if Russia started attacking EU countries.

Supporting Ukraine now is the best way to prevent any of this from coming to pass though.

• FuglyDuck
      link
      fedilink
      English
      185 months ago

Supporting Ukraine now is the best way to prevent any of this from coming to pass though.

Not gonna hold my breath that this means Ukraine gets more support, though. We’re dumb.

• @remotelove@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Very true.

Assuming that Trump wins and somehow withdrawals us from NATO and only the EU fights Russia, there is going to be a ton of suck that is going to smack the US in the face after that, really quick.

Here is a grim outlook, but is something that some right wing groups really want. It’s either a setup for a civil war or a dictatorship. Or both. This is a scenario, not what I believe will happen as it’s kind of extreme.

Global trade is a real thing and many goods and services that Americans use are provided by the EU. A few major drug companies are based in Europe, so that is a start, so those are going to be the first to go if the EU withdrawals from any trade agreements.

Many people don’t realize that a great number of components that the US uses for its weapons originate in the EU. This includes everything from missiles to basic components used in civilian firearms. (Gunpowder, primers, brass and bullets to name a few. It’s a lot. The US hasn’t fully recovered from the pandemic shortages in that regard, either.)

China will likely put heavy restrictions on exports to the US in support of Russia. While this could be beneficial to the US in the long run, it will take years for the US to develop its own manufacturing to produce the quantity of cheap plastic disposable shit that Americans crave. Basic electronics prices will skyrocket since the availability of fake components will tank.

Honestly, I could see the EU restricting business and exports to a much larger degree. Between the EU and China, they could completely tank the US economy and kill our stock markets. This will have global repercussions as the ouroboros must feed.

This is a real end of the world kind of view, but the pandemic showed us how vulnerable global markets really are and how stupid humanity can get in some cases. It puts some absurd scenarios in very close proximity.

• HobbitFoot
        link
        fedilink
        English
        55 months ago

I don’t think the EU would restrict exports to the USA so much as be unable to provide them in a war.

I also think that China would push its claim on Taiwan while Russia invades the EU to push the USA into a diplomatic corner.

• @louisinidus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      125 months ago

100% and considering the uk alone has the same defence budget as russie I think its highly unlikely putin would risk a conflict with even european nato by itself

• @Kidplayer_666@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        55 months ago

The main issue when it comes to European defence is the fact that we don’t have the ammo factories and such located in europe itself, which is a major strategic risk

• @Plopp@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          95 months ago

Sweden produces some things, like some shells for artillery. Currently if you place an order you only have to wait 5 years. That’s nothing in times of war and unrest, right? Right?