Seems like an interesting effort. A developer is building an alternative Java-based backend to Lemmy’s Rust-based one, with the goal of building in a handful of different features. The dev is looking at using this compatibility to migrate their instance over to the new platform, while allowing the community to use their apps of choice.

• @deegeese@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Is it really a lot of work for an experienced dev? I can pick up most new languages in a day or 2 unless it’s a total paradigm shift.

• sik0fewl
      link
      fedilink
      205 months ago

1-2 days is enough to learn the basics, but I doubt you’ll be as nearly as productive as with something you’ve been using for years. Keep in mind that new languages also mean new frameworks, etc, some which take years to actually master, but at least months to get a good handle on them.

Also, from my understanding, Rust is a bit of a paradigm shift.

• Carighan Maconar
      link
      fedilink
      English
      95 months ago

Yeah but there’s a big difference between having “picked up” a new language and being on the level where you can viably add useful code to a distributed federated deployed platform.

I have 12 years in Java by now, I’m fairly confident with it. Rust, yeah no, not for production code.

• magic_lobster_party
      link
      fedilink
      15 months ago

Sure, anyone can pick up a new language or two over a weekend. That doesn’t mean they are confident enough to contribute to large scale programs with it. That takes much longer to learn.