Seems like an interesting effort. A developer is building an alternative Java-based backend to Lemmy’s Rust-based one, with the goal of building in a handful of different features. The dev is looking at using this compatibility to migrate their instance over to the new platform, while allowing the community to use their apps of choice.

• Carighan Maconar
    link
    fedilink
    English
    85 months ago

Usually at banks, where they easily earn 2x+ of what I do working in Java. I happen to know one IRL, and their meetings with the boss are funny because it doesn’t really matter what number they put on the table, their boss cannot fire them. They could not replace them and they need 2+ COBOL devs in house.

• originalucifer
      link
      fedilink
      25 months ago

i took some cobol, i am very annoyed i did not stick with it. i could have retired by now.

• Cosmic Cleric
      link
      fedilink
      English
      05 months ago

I happen to know one IRL, and their meetings with the boss are funny because it doesn’t really matter what number they put on the table, their boss cannot fire them. They could not replace them and they need 2+ COBOL devs in house.

I can concur, I’ve seen the same thing in real life myself. Definitely a blast watching the employee have the power.