Seems like an interesting effort. A developer is building an alternative Java-based backend to Lemmy’s Rust-based one, with the goal of building in a handful of different features. The dev is looking at using this compatibility to migrate their instance over to the new platform, while allowing the community to use their apps of choice.

• @Rooki@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    35 months ago

But you really dont see what the function wants or requires or returns ( except with typehints, but they dont work most of the time and then its not enforced in any way )

• Derin
      link
      fedilink
      English
      105 months ago

Larger, modern python projects always use type hints, for this specific reason.

In the past you had PyDoc, which also scratched that itch.

Barring that, contributing to a python project is very difficult without an IDE that performs type checks for you (which is unreliable).

• @Rooki@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        05 months ago

Correct! As i already contributing to a big ass python project at work. We will rewrite a Big Project from python to c# in under 1 month.

• Derin
          link
          fedilink
          English
          35 months ago

Just you wait until your developers learn about the var keyword - it’s going to be Python 2.7 PTSD incidents all over again 😂

• Derin
              link
              fedilink
              English
              15 months ago

Nope, was added to dot Net after the fact. Normally you declare each type by hand, e.g.

ArrayList<int> myCoolList = new ArrayList<int>();

vs

var myCoolList = new ArrayList<int>();

The second example is why the keyword was added, but now imagine you have a function call returning an unknown type, and then things will start to get super funky.

E.g.

var myCoolBook = BuildBookData(input);

…one step forward and then the same step back 😂 (disclaimer: I do actually like C#, though)

• magic_lobster_party
                link
                fedilink
                15 months ago

The good thing about the var keyword is that it’s still statically typed. The IDE can figure out the type for you if you hover over it.

• Derin
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  15 months ago

But what happens if you don’t use an IDE? That was the original point. Even if it isn’t statically typed, a python IDE can also do its best to guess the type of an object.

The point is to have code that’s legible without dependence on large, third party tools.

• @Rooki@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                15 months ago

Ahh you mean the implementation of var in other langauges than python, i missunderstood you there! Yeah var is a bit risky to use in that case, same i like c# too! Its pretty reliable and stable.

• Derin
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  25 months ago

Yep, I was specifically talking about C#'s implementation.

I worked with some large C# code bases, and you could always see the point in time in which an individual developer would finally get comfortable with var - it’s when the code would start getting unreadable. 🤣

• @Rooki@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    15 months ago

Yeah same ;D But at least its not like in smaller or medium sized python projects where even if its just 2 files its unbearable unpredictable.