A whole swath of GOP voters appears firmly committed to not voting for Trump in November.

Donald Trump has a problem no matter what happens in New Hampshire on Tuesday night: There’s a whole swath of the Republican electorate and a good chunk of independents who appear firmly committed to not voting for him in November if he becomes the nominee.

It’s an issue that became starkly apparent in polling ahead of the Iowa caucuses, when an NBC News/Des Moines Register/Mediacom poll of voters in that state found that fully 43 percent of Nikki Haley supporters said they would back President Joe Biden over Trump. And it’s a dynamic that has been on vivid display as the campaign shifted this week to New Hampshire.

“I can’t vote for Trump. He’s a crook. He’s too corrupt,” said Scott Simeone, 64, an independent voter from Amherst, who backed Trump in 2016 and 2020. “I voted for him, and I didn’t realize he’s as corrupt as he is.”

• AlwaysNowNeverNotMe
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    5 months ago

My California vote isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on, I’ll throw my vote away if I like.

• Kyre
      link
      fedilink
      125 months ago

Would you like to know which state has the most number of registered republicans? It’s California. California just happens to be the most populous state with only 25% of it’s populous being Republican. Voting absolutely matters and despite California being predominantly Democrat controlled, if regular people don’t vote, these racist country destroying inbred fucks will.

• AlwaysNowNeverNotMe
        link
        fedilink
        05 months ago

Oh I vote. I vote in every election on every position. I have a buddy and we research everyone on the ballot separately and then discuss as we fill them out. But I always vote 3rd party for president. I do this because I know how California will vote federally. I believe a third party can succeed in this country, but it will take lots of incremental steps by people willing to do it, and do it with no hope of winning but just pushing that percentage up bit by bit, it happened to the whig’s, it can happen to the modern parties. I don’t even agree with most of the 3rd party candidates I vote for. But I know if we spread the owner class enough they can’t just buy every side of every position.

• Kyre
          link
          fedilink
          25 months ago

A well reasoned argument and a good point.

• @mibo80@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      45 months ago

Yeah, proud Californian here whose last Republican vote went to Schwarzenegger. Never another Republican ever again. I refuse to let this state become a complete shit hole in allowing Republicans and Christian Fascists to settle here safely. Your vote is never going to be worth it. Just leave.