Seems like an interesting effort. A developer is building an alternative Java-based backend to Lemmy’s Rust-based one, with the goal of building in a handful of different features. The dev is looking at using this compatibility to migrate their instance over to the new platform, while allowing the community to use their apps of choice.

• Fudoshin ️🏳️‍🌈
    link
    fedilink
    English
    -35 months ago

I genuinely could not give a shit about Rust

This is the kind of bizarre rhetoric I’ve come to expect from a Java dev so badly addled with Java-brain-rot that they don’t even know how to write their own name anymore.

Rust and Java aren’t competing outside of Silicon Valley and Big Tech,

Keep telling yourself that but I’m not the only one here saying Lemmy and Rust has a lot more chance at success. Parts of Mozilla are written in Rust with a view to replacing all of the codebase in it. Parts of Linux and Linux drivers are being built in Rust. Small programs like Exa (ls replacement) in Linux are written in Rust. Google replaced Java with Go.

Rust, Go and others are taking over. People have seen the light. Those of us with enough cognitive function left in tact are making moves to languages that matter and away from Java.

You’re right Java will always be around just like COBOL. In about two mainframes managed by two COBOL devs in the entire world.

It’s sad to see you like this. Arguing for your own abuse and misery at the hands of a language that doesn’t care about you.

• @BURN@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      55 months ago

My guy, you’re the one getting all worked up here. I’m just providing thought out responses.

You’re proving my point. Everything you mentioned is Silicon Valley/Big Tech. The only place it’s being used is big tech. And yes, Linux does count. That’s fine, but it’s still nowhere near replacing Java.

My goal is to be out of software in under 20 years. It’s a soul sucking, terrible job that takes the life out of you. So it really doesn’t matter what you think is coming in the future. Java works 100% of the time for my use cases, and there will always be Java jobs available.

Also I’d kill to be an experienced COBAL dev. They can write their own checks doing 40hrs a week of barely anything at banks. It’d be the dream job.

I’m not a programmer for fun 99% of the time. I don’t care what’s “cool” or “hot” or “trending”. I care about what keeps me employed.

I’m sure not miserable writing Java code. I definitely am writing Python. So I really don’t care about your opinions. They’re not backed by anything but hurt feelings.