• @GoodEye8@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      35 months ago

Avatar is great but I don’t think it’s the greatest animated kids show. For instance I would put Bluey above Avatar.

• @Swiggles@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        45 months ago

I’ll bite. What is the deal with Bluey? I watched the first episode to see what all the fuzz is about and it looks like a fine show for smaller children, but what else is it? There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with it, but I was expecting something different for all the hype.

• @GoodEye8@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          45 months ago

Bluey is a show that tries to, and also successfully does, appeal to children and to parents. It doesn’t try to be anything more. It’s lighthearted and fun and that’s all it’s supposed to be.

Avatar on the other hand is a kids show that also wants to appeal to pre-teens and teenagers. Some of the themes of Avatar are not really kid friendly: the genocide of air benders, Zukos father mutilating him to make an example, Sokka losing someone he loved. Those are examples from the first season that I remembered. Avatar has a lot of mature subjects. There’s a reason the legend of Korra targeted late teens and young adults, because the more mature subjects of Avatar were what made the show great and the audience grew up.

Overall Avatar is the better show, but Bluey is the better kids show.

• Zagorath
          link
          fedilink
          English
          25 months ago

The only episodes of Bluey that I’ve seen are the cricket one and the State of Origin one, so I don’t think I’m best-placed to answer, but I would say it’s slightly more than @GoodEye8@lemm.ee gives it credit for. It helps role model good parent-child relationships, engages with adults emotionally. But unlike Avatar, which engages you emotionally entirely on its own merits, Bluey engages with your inner child or your parental instinct in an amazingly effective (but quite different and difficult to compare to Avatar) way.

• Zagorath
        link
        fedilink
        English
        25 months ago

I think they’re difficult to compare.

Bluey is a young kids’ show which adults can enjoy because of how it engages their inner child and their parental instinct.

Avatar is a show for older kids which adults can enjoy because of the deep themes, excellent character development, and sensitive world building. Adults enjoy Avatar in entirely the same way they enjoy Lord of the Rings or Star Wars.