• @SchizoDenji@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    -105 months ago

Because it’s not a franchise that’s 50 years old like star wars or based off any existing material.

Once you have a generation that grew up on these films, you’d see more of the references.

• @wolfshadowheart@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      115 months ago

That’s his point though. We grew up with both Avatars and when talking about it by name, many people think of the animation.

The very thing you are saying won’t happen for 50 years is happening with that show.

• @SchizoDenji@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Yeah ATLA was primarily aimed at kids and teens, so obviously today it’d be talked by them more.

Avatar is the antithesis to every “popular” movie. The hero isn’t a single man-child who quips all the time, he’s a crippled guy with a family, serious and sincere.

• @starman2112@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      5 months ago

The same is true of John Wick, and by my estimate, that has had a significantly bigger impact on pop culture.

Also, Avatar is only like 5 years newer than A:TLA, but even ten years ago the cultural impact of TLA was monumental compared to the impact of Cameron’s Avatar today

• @SchizoDenji@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        -85 months ago

How do you measure it? Pandora theme park rides are insanely packed all the time. The first movie led to everyone getting 3DTVs, there were people who got depressed since they couldn’t live on Pandora.

Sure the terminally online crowd doesn’t gush about it, but you’d be lying if it didn’t have any impact.

link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          5 months ago

Another reminder that we all share the same internet, but we live in different universes. Ain’t no one I know wasted money on a 3DTV or regular theme park rides. I guess among the folk that can afford obscenely expensive toys and even more expensive vacations, it might have had a bigger impact, but of the 5 figure income folks I know, not one really cares about the movies. I don’t even know of anyone who bought a 3DTV, let alone bought one specifically for Avatar

link
              fedilink
              105 months ago

I never said nobody watched it. The whole point of this discussion is that it’s surprising how little cultural impact it has despite the insane viewer numbers

• @SchizoDenji@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                -55 months ago

More that they don’t follow IN YOUR CIRCLE. Seriously, avatar chud meme is all over twitter and reddit regardless of fandoms.

• @SchizoDenji@lemm.ee
                    link
                    fedilink
                    -35 months ago

And like 2 billion dollars both movies have made individually?

As opposed to what exactly was ATLA’s cultural impact? A toxic fandom that moans about getting female led content?