• AutoTL;DRB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    125 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Roughly 20 minutes after walking into the courtroom, Donald Trump stormed out of closing arguments in a civil trial to determine how much money he owes E Jean Carroll for repeatedly defaming her.

The former president arrived in federal court in Manhattan on Friday morning after briefly testifying in his defence on Thursday afternoon, after which he unleashed more attacks and potentially defamatory statements about the former Elle magazine columnist.

In her closing statement, Ms Carroll’s attorney Roberta Kaplan told jurors that the former president “acts as if these rules of law just don’t apply to him.”

The facts in the case have already been established, and Mr Trump is barred from disputing that he sexually abused her, leaving a trial focused exclusively on damages owed.

Mr Trump instead has used the trial to amplify his defamatory statements and as a stage for his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination, which has relied on his multiple lawsuits and criminal indictments to cast him as a victim of a baseless conspiracy theory of a weaponized justice system against him.

Hours before his appearance in federal court on Friday, he posted a video of himself to his Truth Social account in which he accused Ms Carroll of lying and being a paid political operative.

The original article contains 528 words, the summary contains 212 words. Saved 60%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!