Hello everyone,

We were discussing with a friend the other day and how Covid has one good thing when it was there: the reduced amount of socialization.

We are in our early 30s, so weekends get usually packed with one things on Friday evening, something on Saturday, sometimes Saturday evening too, and then you try to catch up with family on Sunday.

In the end, even if it feels very good to see people, sometimes it can be quite tiring too.

My current weekend was

• a chill evening on Friday with a friend
  • nothing planned on Saturday until a social gathering at 6pm
  • nothing on Sunday

And I feel fucking great.

So that’s it, just some random thoughts, what is your stance on the matter? Do you manage to keep time for yourself, or are you running from one event to another?

• SbisasCostlyTurnover
    link
    fedilink
    English
    125 months ago

I’ve got kids so my weekends are…well not mine. In the Before Time however, things were much different.

Typically we’d have a three day weekend (overnight work yay). The Sunday was a mess because we’d been working the previous night so we’d spend a lot of that day in bed napping and just chilling out. Monday was the day we’d usually give to seeing others and running errands so that Tuesday we could do as little as possible, play games, maybe go get food. Wednesday (before 3 when we’d go to bed before our shift) was usually just lounging around the house.

Our weekends were amazing…and now here I am being held hostage against my will by a 6 year old and a 2 year old. Help

• @BlazeOP
      link
      English
      45 months ago

Thanks for your comments!

I am being held hostage against my will by a 6 year old and a 2 year old. Help

Hopefully at some point in the future they’ll get more independent? I’m not a parent yet, I guess parents of other child can chime in

• SbisasCostlyTurnover
        link
        fedilink
        English
        85 months ago

When the 2 year old is 5 it’ll be much more enjoyable. At the moment he’s still just about young enough that we have to work around him for a lot of things.

• @MajorHavoc@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          English
          65 months ago

Yep! It’s so much better when the youngest is at least five. I can supply the “stations” (water, food, clothing, etc) and take some time to relax, instead of having to help them with every bodily need.

• SbisasCostlyTurnover
            link
            fedilink
            English
            45 months ago

Just not having to worry about them turning into a nightmare if they skip their nap would be a win. Now don’t get me wrong, I love his Monday nap when his big-sister is at school…but when I want to out on the weekend it can definitely cause issues…cause the kid just doesn’t nap unless he’s in his cot.

• SbisasCostlyTurnover
        link
        fedilink
        English
        15 months ago

I knew what I was getting myself into…and yet, even then I’m surprised by just how little time I get to myself. Maybe an hour in the evening… assuming all things go okay with regards to bedtime.

And it is absolutely a nightmare 🤣