I did a search from shitjustworks for “reddit die” and did not find https://lemmy.world/c/watchredditdie so I made https://sh.itjust.works/c/watchredditdie (unnecessarily). This should really not happen. When someone makes a community there should be a “ping” sent out to notify all other federated instances.

And from what I know, if I post to !sh.itjust.works/c/watchredditdie only users on sh.itjust.works will see the posts until other people from other instances randomly come across it somehow and subscribe? This really needs to be improved.

• Annoyed_🦀 🏅
    link
    fedilink
    English
    95 months ago

Yeah, that’s the issue federation for lemmy have. I’m from a very small instance and my “All” feed only shows just a fraction of community from those big instance. If i need more community post showing i need to manually request federation for each and every community. It’s not too big of an issue if you’re from big instance as people will likely look for more community to subscribe, but for small instance it will be barren most of the time if no one try to look for new community using external browser, which makes people migrate to bigger instance, and defeat the purpose of having multiple instance.

Though i must say, manually federating is quite fast these day, i remember last year i have to keep refreshing for it to shows, and it take hours for the content to federate. The dev surely do magic.

• Annoyed_🦀 🏅
        link
        fedilink
        English
        25 months ago

Thanks! I’ve been thinking about this sort of tool but didn’t went to look for it

• @Anon518@sh.itjust.worksOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      25 months ago

It’s not too big of an issue if you’re from big instance as people will likely look for more community to subscribe

Yeah that’s what I thought, and I assumed that shitjustworks was big enough to not have to worry about that, but apparently not. So I think this is one of the biggest problems with lemmy right now.

which makes people migrate to bigger instance, and defeat the purpose of having multiple instance

Bingo.