Adriana Kuch, 14, was attacked by other students in the hallway of her high school last year. She later died by suicide after video of the assault was posted online.

The family of a New Jersey teenager who died by suicide after video of her being assaulted at her high school was posted online is suing the Board of Education and school officials, their attorneys said Monday.

The lawsuit, filed on behalf of Adriana Kuch’s family against the Central Regional Board of Education and others, alleges that officials were aware of “a culture of violence at Central Regional High School” and failed to protect her, the lawyers said.

Adriana took her own life after she was attacked by at least one other student in her high school last year and after video of the attack was posted online.

The assault and the video “led to her public humiliation and ultimate suicide,” the family lawyers said in a statement.

• @HappycamperNZ@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    365 months ago

You’re mistaking your rational, logical brain with that of one who had just lost their little girl due to some little shits ego and a failing of those you trusted her safety with - including by the sounds of things making light of it and saying its not their problem.

If you have ever lost your cool at anyone in your life, imagine what you would have done if this was your loss.

• @tooclose104@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      -15 months ago

I’m about 50/50 on not wanting this happen to me because I want my kids to outlive me and because I’m legitimately scared of how I’d react being in that situation. I know how I’d want to react, which is cold calculating and devastatingly civilized. I fear it would be cold and devastatingly chaotically dangerous.

• @tooclose104@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          35 months ago

I’d say obviously not but judging by the down votes it didn’t come across the way I intended. Definitely meant it as there are two reasons, split equally.

I’d fear my reaction because I’m scared I’d react in a way that would prevent me from caring for my surviving children and spouse.

• @Tangent5280@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            15 months ago

Yeah that makes sense. It’s hard to pick the sensible option of supporting your family when such injustice is done to someone you love.

• @HappycamperNZ@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        55 months ago

Im not scared of how I would react, as if it did what would I have left? Suicidal as a teen and don’t think I’d be long for this world if I lost them, so what the worst that could happen to me?