• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet
    link
    fedilink
    English
    585 months ago

It’s concerning how much support these types of statements get.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”

–Dr. Martin Luther King Junior

• @GeneralVincent@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      145 months ago

“Whites, it must frankly be said, are not putting in a similar mass effort to re-educate themselves out of their racial ignorance. It is an aspect of their sense of superiority that the white people of America believe they have so little to learn.”

“The problems of racial injustice and economic injustice cannot be solved without a radical redistribution of political and economic power.”

“First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Councilor or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to “order” than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: “I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action”.”

–Dr. Martin Luther King Junior

• @nomous@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        125 months ago

MLK Jr, the guy that has that one quote about white moderates that gets paraded around constantly while 90% of his other words are completely ignored.

• @Jtotheb@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          5 months ago

Good to see the true feelings of this community reflected in such quick fashion. ‘That one quote’ is a pretty lengthy diatribe, and it’s far from his only time. But the sick comeback makes white moderates feel better about themselves

• @banneryear1868@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        45 months ago

He never stereotyped whites as a distinct singular identity that I can recall, it was always about their relation to maintaining inequality. One of his most impactful actions was convincing white and black unions to strike together, and that the fight for jobs and equality was one poor whites and blacks needed to share. In “The Other America” he constantly references poor white populations who share in the struggle.

MLK Jr never divided people by race like this, he thought that was one of the Three Evils plaguing American society.

• Exocrinous
      link
      fedilink
      English
      55 months ago

“Whites, it must frankly be said, are not putting in a similar mass effort to reeducate themselves out of their racial ignorance. It is an aspect of their sense of superiority that the white people of America believe they have so little to learn."

- Dr. Martin Luther King Junior