Self-driving tech is widely distrusted by the public, and Tesla’s huge Autopilot recall and Cruise’s scandals don’t seem to have helped.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
    link
    235 months ago

That’s because Teslas aren’t autonomous vehicles. They’re just calling lane assist features self-driving.

A true self-driving vehicle wouldn’t need a human watching it.

• @Spiralvortexisalie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      95 months ago

Even the more advanced cars, the so called level 3 cars that have come out in last year (Tesla I believe is still the lower rated level 2) do not do as much as people think. And even the Level 3 cars I have tried suffer from a serious drawback in that they essentially will ditch self-driving with little warning in populated areas. In the burbs and country with straight highways the vehicles can do alright and/or enough to convince people they are FSD. In city areas I have seen vehicles lose GPS-lock and unable to read the lane markings just kick out of self driving mode, which can happen semi-often around large trucks and heavy bridges, a life or death situation if you weren’t paying attention or stupid enough to sit in the back for a tiktok.