Stop wearing Vision Pro goggles while driving your Tesla: U.S. transportation officials, Calif. police::Videos, many of them stunts or jokes, of people wearing Apple’s new virtual reality headset while driving Teslas in Autopilot mode prompted officials to issue warnings.

• @Guntrigger@feddit.ch
    link
    fedilink
    English
    555 months ago

So there was a guy in the “viral video” thread yesterday fighting tooth and nail for how harmful the video is even if it’s staged, mainly on the premise thats bunch of people would copy and recreate it. They were getting downvoted to oblivion.

Here we are a day later.

• Fudoshin ️🏳️‍🌈
      link
      fedilink
      English
      135 months ago

They were getting downvoted to oblivion.

Downvotes are a fucking curse. They were never meant for disagreement. They’ve just turned into low-effort echo-chamber creators.

• @poopkins@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        105 months ago

Ironically, I’ve been downvoted for saying this in response to somebody sympathizing with my previous downvoted comment that was expanding in support of somebody’s highly upvoted comment with some background.

I think the general sentiment on Lemmy is that any comment reply must surely be in disagreement and receives an automatic downvote. Mostly I visit the comments for discourse and upvote interesting threads of conversation.

In my opinion, really there should be no downvote button.

• @whoisearth@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        45 months ago

I rarely downvote. If I disagree with someone that means no up vote most times. Downvote should be limited to spam, harmful or completely irrelevant.

I’ve been downvoted to oblivion before just because I don’t agree with the hive mind. That to me is scary and people should be concerned that’s even a thing.

• @laughterlaughter@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        5 months ago

I prefer to have downvotes because they give you a better picture than, say, upvotes only.

Popular or important comments in an upvote-only system will still float to the top. And now we don’t know how many people disagreed (HA!) with them.

• @TheFriar@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        25 months ago

Yup. The amount of times I saw a comment that was downvoted to oblivion for containing a shred of nuance and that required the most minute sliver of time’s worth of critical thinking getting downvoted unjustly boggles the brain. Downvotes are literally contagious for probably 50%-60% of users. When a few downvoted roll in to something slightly nuanced, the already small likelihood that people could engage with the nuance drops to absolute zero and the downvotes just keep piling up. Says quite a lot.