If your IP (and possible your browser) looks “suspicious” or has been used by other users before, you need to add additional information for registration on gitlab.com, which includes your mobile phone number and possibly credit card information. Since it is not possible to contribute or even report issues on open source projects without doing so, I do not think any open source project should use this service until they change that.

Screenshot: https://i.ibb.co/XsfcfHf/gitlab.png

• thejevans
        link
        fedilink
        125 months ago

I would LOVE to switch to codeberg for work, but my work requires that all data be hosted in the US, so I recently pitched GitLab as an alternative to GitHub, even though it’s not perfect.

• @ReakDuck@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          95 months ago

Wait. Wtf does it need to be US specifically? So the goverment has full access to the data or what?

• @peasntanks@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            24 months ago

Export controls or legal compliance, most likely. Export controls because the code may be a protected technology, or compliance because the company doesn’t have gdpr or some other legal framework.

• @wewbull@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          65 months ago

In which case, get your code off the net and use Forgejo to get your own instance, same as codeberg. If hosting location is a real issue, bring it home.

• thejevans
            link
            fedilink
            45 months ago

That’s eventually the plan, but I expect that process to take on the order of a year, unfortunately.

• @marty_relaxes@discuss.tchncs.de
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          5 months ago

Codeberg the community is very nice with strong focus on the right to privacy and free software, which I feel reflects itself especially in a lot of copylefted projects on the service.

Codeberg the collaboration platform is in my epxerience by the simple fact of critical mass quite a bit less ‘collaborative’ for many projects. There’s a couple projects with tight communities, and a lot of single dev projects with maybe a drive-by PR.

Codeberg the software runs on Gitea (/Forgejo) which is wonderful software - slim, simple enough to get everything done without being in the way.

There’s efforts to open up the gitea/forgejo forges to federation, which would be a very neat way to fix the collaboration issue and is - in my view - the way forward for open, decentralized collaborative software creation. It’s still quite a ways off (especially from bring mature enough to be used day-to-day) but when it gets there platforms like codeberg will be the first to adopt it and to also benefit massively from it.

• @wewbull@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          25 months ago

I don’t use codeberg much, but I have my own instance of Forgejo so I’m using the same software. My experience is that it’s really nice. The feeling is one of having what you need and no bloat.

• @OsrsNeedsF2P@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      265 months ago

If you want people to contribute to your project, Github is by far the best. If you’re off Github, it reduces your visibility by a lot.

• @bizdelnick@lemmy.ml
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        235 months ago

You can host your project anywhere you want, setup mirroring to github and drop a link in its description. So you’ll have github visibility and won’t depend on github. Addiitional repo backup is a bonus.

• @evranch@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        -15 months ago

Even just for reporting issues, anyone who is capable of identifying a bug is likely to have a GitHub account. Not so for Gitlab or others.

Then you’ve got seamless integration with Vscode as a bonus, it’s more like why would you not use GitHub unless you have a specific problem with them.

• @ALostInquirer@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          25 months ago

Then you’ve got seamless integration with Vscode as a bonus, it’s more like why would you not use GitHub unless you have a specific problem with them.

Does GitHub still only permit one account? I remember looking into it awhile back and not wanting to get things mixed up between personal/professional arrangements and the one account policy put me off.

• thejevans
        link
        fedilink
        14 months ago

Looks cool. Their hosted service is still in Alpha, so I doubt my work would go for it.

• @caseyweederman@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      35 months ago

I have no idea what everyone is on about.
      Host your own git repo. It’s trivial and built into git and you make every decision about it from the ground up.
      For example you don’t need to worry about registrations or what country it’s hosted in because the country it’s hosted in is your hard drive (or your company’s server rack).
      Then use whatever front-end you want and point it at that private repo.
      It’s only mildly more fiddly to set up and grant access, but it sure doesn’t ask you for a credit card and it sure doesn’t get scraped to train LLMs (unless you make it internet-facing and don’t protect it).
      If you want to stay close to the core experience but still have a decent interface, check out (heh) gitweb and git daemon. Though I wouldn’t mind if gitweb had some of the fancier features, like the “download as zip”/“git clone path/to/branch copy-to-clipboard” buttons.

• @delirious_owl
        link
        95 months ago

It is not trivial to host a git forge with modern features that allows easy collaboration between anonymous users all over the world.

• @caseyweederman@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          35 months ago

Git forge?
          Just git. Git command line.
          It’s about as trivial as setting up an Apache server.
          The anonymous users part is maybe two lines in a config file.
          The features are almost entirely part of the front-end, which is entirely up to each individual end-user.
          Do you have a web server? You’re already 95% of the way there. A workplace was mentioned in other replies, which likely means this infrastructure is already in place.

• @delirious_owl
            link
            45 months ago

So no PRs. No Issues. No CI/CD. That doesn’t work for 99% of actively developed open source projects with >10 devs

• @Eiim@lemmy.blahaj.zone
                link
                fedilink
                34 months ago

The difficulty of sending patches or reporting issues to the Linux kernel is a feature for them, as it keeps less-experienced devs from wasting maintainer’s time with garbage requests. For most projects it’s a bug.

• @uis@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  14 months ago

Linus accepted patch from literal child. But to be fair it was documentation style patch from one of kernel dev’s kid.